Trying to understand something that's not defined here? Ask us in a message (icon below) or email email@example.com — and we can add it to the list 🙂
Application Programming Interface. A set of commands, tools, and protocols used to interact directly with information in a program. Send us a message if you would like to interface directly to the Wildnote API.
See Hide and Show Rules
This date appears under "Data Already Collected for the Project" under "Manage Data>Review and Edit" and is the date when a survey form is first synced to the database either from the mobile device or the web application. This date is fixed and does not change.
A collection of data that is stored in a manner which enables efficient retrieval.
A data collector can be a person and/or a device. The data collector records observations, states, or quantities of a particular subject.
Data Collection/Data Capture
A process whereby observations are documented according to a predetermined set of criteria.
A report or output of your data in a particular format type. Wildnote offers different exporting options in various formats including PDF, Word, Excel, and KML.
A distinct attribute or property.
See Survey Question
A navigation system which consists of a network of orbiting satellites, ground control stations, and user receivers. One-way signals are transmitted to users with positioning, navigation, and timing data as long as devices have a clear line-of-sight with four or more satellites.
An acronym for Greenwich Mean Time, GMT is the former world time standard but has been since replaced by Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). They are generally considered equivalent.
Hide and Show Rules
If you would like to dynamically display a question based on answers to another question you can set that up via the Hide and Show Rules. You must create the question, save it and edit it to access the Hide and Show Rules. You setup the Hide and Show Rules on the question you want to hide or show.
A repeated process or workflow which observes or records something.
The gallery contains all photos, videos and documents uploaded for a particular project.
A way to organize work. In Wildnote, projects manage work efforts such as: survey forms, user roles, locations, photo gallery, and exported reports.
A detailed request for information made against some data.
The classification of data which determines what sort of values can be stored and how it can be used. Available question types, include:
- Check box: Single check box for true or false.(Checkbox, Counter, Date, Time, Number, Text)
- Counter: Incremental counter with button click. Great for inventories.
- Date: Input your date.
- Number: Input numbers, integers or decimals.
- Text, multi-line: Multi-line text box. Good for very long descriptions.
- Text, single line: Single line text box.
- Time: Input time.
- Helper text: Helper text can be used to give instructions to field data collectors.
- Line: Line to separate sections.
- Repeater: Repeated set of questions. Useful for the same set of data repeatedly collected in the same survey. All questions that belong to a repeater (or section) have a parent relationship with the repeater. To add a question to a repeater drag the boxes to the repeater.
- Section: A set of questions grouped together. All questions that belong to a section (or repeater) have a parent relationship with the section. To add a question to a section drag the boxes to the section.
- Latitude/Longitude: Drop a geographical point to specify Latitude (angular distance of a point, north or south of the equator.) and Longitude (angular distance of a point, east or west of the Prime Meridian).
- Documents: Document upload.
- Photos: Photo upload(s). You can upload one or more photos. You can capture from your mobile device or select from your gallery.
- Video: Video upload(s). You can upload one or more videos. You can capture from your mobile device or form your gallery.
- Check boxes: Multiple choice check boxes.
- Multiple select: Multiple select answer choices with search.
- Location single select: A special survey question type related to Single Select. Locations have the added feature of associating additional metadata with each item in the list. For example you could have multiple named sites and store additional information for each site such as owner, contact phone number lat/long, and any data field you want to define. The location list is defined for each project in the Project Admin section.
- Single select: Single select answer choices with search.
- Radio button: Single select with radio buttons.
Taxonomy (Single and Multi-select)
- Taxonomy Lists: (Single and Multi-select) Plant or wildlife taxon list, multiple choice, auto-filters as you type. Select the data source to pick a list. Contact support to import a custom list.
The date when the survey form is first opened and filled out. This date can differ from the "created" date if the survey form is not synced to the database on the same day. The "survey date" question is, by default, a part of every survey form template.
An element or field on a survey record, representing a single piece of data.
An individual collection of data in a survey form.
The survey form used to collect data. In Wildnote Survey Forms are assigned to projects.
Numbers or values arranged in rows and columns.
This date appears under "Data Already Collected for the Project" under "Manage Data>Review and Edit" and is the last time a survey form has been edited on either the mobile or web platform.
An acronym for Universal Transverse Mercator, UTM is a coordinate system for the earth. UTM is not one single coordinate system but instead divides the earth into 60 different zones - each with their own projection.
A name which is assigned a value.
An acronym for World Geodetic Survey 1984, WGS is the standard coordinate system for the earth. It was established in 1984 and is used by GPS.